To the eternal memory of the veterans from Clinton County who served their country with honor and distinction and made the supreme sacrifice….

David M. Johnston
David Marshall Johnston, 21, was the first Carlyle young man to give up his life in battle in France. He died August 23, 1918. Johnston was born in Carlyle July 23, 1887, the son of Everett and Josie Johnston, who survive along with a sister. He was educated in the Carlyle school system, graduating in a class of 25. A memorial service was held at the Carlyle Presbyterian Church.
John Toennies
Pvt. John B. Toennies, was serving in the U. S. Army, 2nd Company, lst Training Battalion, 159 DB, at Camp Taylor, Kentucky. He died on October 13, 1918 at Camp Taylor. Toennies was born August 20, 1892 in Damiansville, Illinois. Burial was in the Damiansville Cemetery
Herman A. Fruend
Herman Arthur Fruend of Ferrin, died in France on October 14, 1918 while serving in Company G, 125th Infantry, 32nd Division of the U.S. Army. He was born in Ferrin, Illinois in 1895. Burial was in the family plot of Trinity Lutheran Cemetery located in Ferrin, IL.
William E. Krausz
Private William E. Krausz, of New Menphis, was killed in action September 10, 1918 while serving in France, with the 154th Infantry, U.S.-.Army. William was the son of Philip P. and Elizabeth Krausz (nee Baehr). Burial was in the New Menphis Lutheran Cemetery.
William H. Kahrhoff
Private First Class William H. Kahrhoff, died November 14, 1918, of wounds received at the Battle of the Sedan, France. Burial in St. Anthony’s Catholic Cemetery in Beckemeyer, IL.
Gus Ethridge
Gus Ethridge, one time resident of Carlyle and known to a number of our citizens here, died at Ft. Douglas, Utah, August 17, 1917. His body was shipped to Keyesport and burial took place there. He was a son of Mrs. Frank Potts of Keyesport. Young Ethridge enlisted in the regular army several weeks ago and was stationed at Fort Douglas.
Clemens Poelker
John Gilmartin
John Gilmartin was a member of the Officers Training School at Camp Taylor, Kentucky. He died on October 18, 1918 after a short illness of pneumonia. He was born in Trenton on August, 7, 1895 and reached the age of 23 years, 2 months and 3 days at the tirie of death. John was the son of Mr. & Mrs. Patrick Gilmartin. Besides his parents, he is survived by three sisters and four brothers. Burial was in Mt. Carmel Cemetery in East St. Louis, Illinois.
Harold V. Goddard
George Winkler
Gustav C. Holthaus
Pvt. Gustav C. Holthaus, U.S. Army, Company L, 102 Infantry Regiment, died July 23, 1918, from wounds received in France, on or near July 15, 1918. Burial in St. Anthony’s Cemetery located in Beckemeyer. Pvt. Holthaus resided near Beckemeyer, Illinois, in Wade Township.
Urban Mondt
Urban J. Mondt, a former resident of Carlyle, but who, before entering the service made his home with his mother at Aviston, has been reported as killed in action in France. He was inducted into the service by the local board May 28, 1918, and sent to Camp Gordon. His mother Mrs. Ella Mondt-., is the efficient chief operator for the telephone company at Aviston. The young man was born on a farm south of Aviston on October 19, 1895, therefore he would have been 23 years old the past week.
Joseph Boeckmann
Pvt. Joseph Boeckmann serving in Company “H”, 345th Infantry, U.S. Army went into the Base Hospital, Camp Pike, Ark. on January 20, 1918, with a diagnosis of Broncho Pneumonia, developing complications of Diptheria; January 23, 1918, and dying at 3 P.M. January 27, 1918. The immediate cause of death was Diptheria. Joseph was born on February 15, 1894, the son of Frank “Franz” Boeckmann and Anna Maria Boeckmann, -(nee Strothmann) of Bartelso. He was drafted into the U.S. Army in September 1917, and reported for duty at Camp Taylor, Kentucky, where he was assigned to Company “L”, 26th Infantry. He was transferred to Camp Pike, Ark. arrving on November 17, 1917. A brother, Frank, drowned in the Kaskaskia River 5 months after the death of Joseph.
Robert H. Barkley
Robert Hoffman Barkley was killed at Merced, California, December 3, 1918, when his airplane fell approximately 500 feet. He was making his final flight as a student and was to have been commissioned as an aviator the following day. Barkley was born in Carlyle August 28, 1895, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Guy C. Barkley who survive along with two sisters and two brothers. He was educated in Carlyle public schools and graduated from Carlyle high school in 1914. He enlisted in the aviation section during December, 1917, and it was while completing his training at the flying school at Madier Field in Sacramento that Cadet Barkley encountered the fatal fall. His body was taken to the home of his parents and services were held December 12, 1918.
James H. Kleber
Corporal James H. Kleber, 27, of East St. Louis, was laid to rest in the Carlyle Cemetery October 25, 1918. He died at Ft. Bliss, TX, of pneumonia following an attack of Spanish influenza. Kleber was a son of Mr. and Ws. John Kleber Sr. and was born in Carlyle October 10, 1981. He was inducted into the military service May 20, 1918, and was assigned to Troop B, 314 Cavalry, as troop clerk and sent to Ft. Bliss. His father, John Kleber Sr. of E. St. Louis, and brother, J. W. Kleber of Carlyle, traveled to Ft. Bliss and arrived shortly before his death.
Ben Ahlf
Pvt. Ben Ahlf of Shattuc, Illinois, was killed in action, in France on October 13, 1918. He was serving in Company I, 125th Infantry, A.E.F. Ben was born November 21, 1894, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Claus Ahlf of Shattuc, IL.
Calvin J. Lee
Pvt. Calvin J. Lee of Trenton, serving in Company B, 333rd Illinois Infantry, died at Camp Taylor, Kentucky, on January 9, 1918, a victim of measles and pneumonia. He was the oldest son of William H. and Elizabeth Lee, was born on a farm north of Trenton, on February 25, 1893. Besides his parents he is survived bv one Brother and three sisters. Burial was in Trenton Cemetery.
Bernard A. Korte
John H. Hilmes
John H. Hilmes, 40 Co., 160 DB, 10th BN. died October 24, 1918, at Camp Custer, Michigan, of pneumonia. He lived in the community of Little Prairie, 1 1/2 miles west of Beckemeyer, Illinois in Wade Township. The young man was a son of Clem Hilmes, a farmer residing between Beckemeyer and Breese. He was inducted into the service on September 6, 1917 and was about 23 years of age. Burial was in St. Anthony’s Cemetery in Beckemeyer.
Henry Lallman
Pvt. Henry Lallman, U.S.Army, 2nd Illinois Infantry, died October 1, 1918 from pneumonia at Fort Riley, Kansas. Burial was in Beckemeyer Public Cemetery. He was a resident of the Village of Beckemeyer.
Florence Burger
Pvt. Florence Burger died at Camp Pike, Arkansas, April 16, 1918. He resided near the community of Frogtown, Illinois.
Erwin 0. Stahl
Private Erwin Stahl, of Trenton, died on September 27, 1918 from wounds received in action against the enemy. He enlisted in the Missouri National Guard in May 1917. Erwin later transferred to Company I, 138th Infantry, training at Camp Doniphan, Fort Sill, Oklahoma. He arrived in France June 6, 1918. Erwin was the son of Mr. & Mrs. William Stahl of Trenton and reached the age of 21 years, 7 months and 4 days at the time of his death. He is survived by his parents, 6 brothers and 3 sisters.
Joseph W. Benhoff
Charles Carr
The interment of the remains of Charles Carr of Breese who died at Camp Taylor, Ky., last week took place at the Carlyle Cemetery October 13, 1918. The deceased was about 22 years – of age and was well known in Clinton county where he resided before entering the service. Odd Fellows Lodge 680 of Breese was in charge of the service assisted by Carlyle members of the order. Rev. Cummins of the Carlyle Methodist Episcopal Church conducted graveside services.
George V. Goldsmith
George Vernon Goldsmith, 26, who had been missing in action in France since October 8, 1918, was reported to have died October 19, 1918, according to his parents, John T. and Mary Francis (Abernathy) Goldsmith Sr. Goldsmith went into service in May of 1918, trained at Camp Gordon, Georgia, and arrived in France in August of the same year. His parents received notification that he was missing December 7, 1918, nearly a month after the armistice was signed. They had clung to hopes that their son, Vernon, would show up alive either in one of the hospitals or as a prisoner of Germany. His body was returned to the states and he was interred in Wadsworth Cemetery on October 23, 1921. Surviving in addition to his parents are three brothers, John L., Thomas Leroy and William F., and two sisters, Edna Bauer and Ruth Nothaus.
Anton H. Kemper
Meinolf Wildhaber
Otto Meier
Word has been received in Carlyle, to the effect that Otto Meier, of Albers, who went to Camp Custer, with -the last contingent entrained for that Camp by the local board, had died of pneumonia following an attack of influenza. The young man was born at Ruma, Ill., October 6, 1893, where he resided until 1913, when he went to Albers with is parents. The burial was in St. Bernard’s Cemetery in Albers.
John H. Netemeyer
Leo Werth
John A. Hirstein
Private John A. Hirstein, of Trenton, died on October 21, 1918, at the age of 26 years, 10 months, while on furlough from Camp Sheridan, Alabama. He had returned home to attend the funeral of a relative. John was the son of Mr. & Mrs. John Hirstein, living three miles southwest of Trenton. He was born on a farm near Troy, Illinois, December 22, 1891. He was a graduate of the university of Illinois in 1917. Burial was in the Summerfield Cemetery.
Joseph R. Speiser
Joseph Raymond Speiser, who was sent to Camp Taylor Kentucky, June 24, 1918, by the local draft board died from influenza Monday and his body was shipped to his old home, via Shattuc, Wednesday for burial. He was a son of Valentine Speiser, a well known farmer of near Boulder, and was a most exemplary young man. He gave his age as 25 years at the time of enrollment with the draft board.
Anthony Prieshoff
Ernest Ruf
Mr. and Mrs. John Ruf, Sr. received a telegram last Tuesday evening from the war department in Washington conveying the sad intelligence that their son, Ernest, had died in a hospital in France of bronchial pneumonia. No other particulars of his death were given in the telegram. He was 29 years old having been born in Carlyle February 5, 1889, and received his education in the public schools here. He volunteered for service and on April 29, 1918, was sent to Camp Dix, N.J., where he received training. He landed on French soil June 8, 1918 as a private in Battery A, 308th Field Artillery. In addition to his parents, he leaves three sisters and two brothers, Miss Josephine Ruf, Mrs. John Dieterich, Mrs. W.P. Hinkel, John Ruf, Jr., and Leo Ruf. Ruf was buried in a cemetery in France.
Joseph Middendorff
Pvt. Joseph Middendorff was serving in the 5th Company, Camp Gordon Sed. in France and died on October 3, 1918 in the Base Hospital at Kechuon, France. He was born September 12, 1899 in Damiansville, Illinois. Burial was in the Damiansville Cemetery.
Henry B. Meyer
James E. Carson
Frank Carson, a coal miner of Beckemeyer, IL, received a telegram Tuesday December 3, 1918, stating that his son, James Elmer Carson, had been killed in action in France. The young man was inducted into the army on June 24, 1918, by the local draft board, and landed in France about the 4th of September, and soon thereafter was assigned to Co. G, 356th Infantry, 89th Division. He was 24 years of age.
Paul Bassler
Corporal Paul H. Bassler, was killed in action on October 8, 1918 while serving in France. He was called to service December 24, 1917 and sent to Camp Dodge, Iowa. Paul served in Companv L, 117th infantry, A.E.F. and entered combat service in July 1918. Paul was the youngest son of Mr. & Mrs. Paul Bassler, was born on a farm near Sugar Creek, northeast of Trenton in 1888. Besides his parents, he is survived by 4 sisters and 2 brothers.
Jim Vincent
William Hohmann
Joseph H. Timmermann
Orville W. Marcham
James B. Marcham, who runs a grocery on the southeast comer of the square, received a telegram from Washington last Friday evening, announcing the sad news that his son, Orville William Marcham, had been killed in action in France October 4, 1918. Orville was born in Marion County April 25, 1894, but for the past 14 years had been a resident of Carlyle. He was married in 1917 to Mary Louise Hoffman and was inducted into service May 28, 1918, and sent to Camp Gordon. His overseas tour began in early August and in a letter to his father, Orville indicated that he would be in the trenches within a few days. Marcham’s remains were later buried in St. Mary’s Cemetery.
P. Henry Heyer
Theodore Tyberendt
Joseph B. Korte
Anton Diesen
Albert Hussmann
George W. Thomas
Bill Thomas was a victim of the cave warfare tactics of the enemy. The 19 year old Carlyle youth had seen an enemy soldier run into a cave on Iwo Jima and in his attempt to rout the enemy from the cave was himself killed. His death on March 1, 1945, followed by seven days that of James Cook of Carlyle, also on Iwo. PFC Thomas’ remains were returned here for burial Wednesday, May 5, 1948. He is the son of Mrs. Gordon Houck of Carlyle and George Thomas of Centralia, and was born at Salem.
Albert R. Schuchmann
Hit by enemy shrapnel while,, on observation duty in the front lines, T/Sgt. Albert R. Schuchmann was killed in Germany on March 2, 1945, two months before the war ended on the western front and only six weeks before his 21st birthday. He had enlisted in February, 1943, less than a year after graduation from Carlyle High School. The remains were returned to Carlyle for services on November 14, 1948. Albert is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Schuchmann, and a sister, Mrs. Robert Tumage of Carlyle.
Fred J. Frey
March 30, 1945, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Frey of Beckemeyer received a message from the War Department telling them their son, Machinist Mate 3/c Fred James Frey was killed in action aboard his ship. He enlisted in the Navy April 24, 1941 and has been aboard one nf the large aircraft carriers. At the time of his death he was 23 years of age. During his navy career in the South Pacific area he saw action in the following battles: Marcus, Wake, Marianas, Volcanos, Bonins, battle of the Philippine Sea, Carolinas, Morocoi, Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Formosa and the Philippines
Aloys Tebbe
Earl Hoelscher
Mrs. Earl E. Hoelscher received a telegram from the War Department stating that her husband, Sgt. Earl E. Hoelscher, who had previously been reported as missing in action, was killed in action February 2, 1944 in Italy. He is survived by his wife, the former Miss Marie A. Brunsmann and a son, Denver Earl, 11 months old. His parents are Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hoelscher of Breese. Sgt. Hoelscher had been cited by his regiment of the 36th “Texas” Infantry Division.
Lawrence Huser
The sad news reached the George Huser home last week that his son, Cpl. Lawrence T. Huser was killed in action in France September 19, 1944. He was the third war casualty of our vicinity. Cpl. Huser was inducted in service March 17, 1942, at Scott Field. He departed for overseas on December 22, 1943. He went abroad and landed in England and later went to France where he lost his life for his country. Cpl. Huser was the son of George and the late Margaret Huser of Germantown.
Francis Gausepohl
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Gauspohl of New Athens received word from Washington the week of December 17, 1943, that their son, Cpl. Francis B. Gauspohl, 20, was killed in an airplane accident when the plane in which he was riding crashed six miles north of Council Bluffs, Iowa. Cpl. Gauspohl was one of sixteen men killed when a bomber on a routine training flight from its base at Fort Worth, Texas, crashed into rugged cliffs with no survivors. Cpl. Gauspohl was a radio operator on a B-24 Liberator Bomber. He was born on May 22, 1923 in New Baden.
Leroy Cavin
Leroy Cavin had been overseas about four months when reported missing over Belgium December 17, 1944 by the War Department. Later it was learned he had been taken prisoner by the Germans and he was freed by American troops along with Oscar Solis of Carlyle on April 9, 1945. A victim of malnutrition and worse, Sgt. Cavin died of pneumonia May 1, 1945, before he could be returned to the states. His wife, Hester, their two children, Louise and Lorraine Kay, now live in Peoria. Henry Cavin of this city is an uncle.
Elmer H. Johnson
Alpheus B. Jones
Alpheus B. Jones, 34, died December 6, 1945, at Pearl Harbor. Jones, a cook in the
U.S. Navy, enlisted in April of 1944 and served in the Pacific theatre where he sustained a broken spine. He is buried in the Halawa Naval Cemetery on the Island of Oahu. Jones was born January 1, 1911. He, married Ruby E. Jones April 13, 1942. He is survived by his wife and a stepson, Robert Lockridge of Carlyle.
Harold H. Stukenberg
News of the death of Harold Stukenburg came to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Stukenburg of Albers in a telegram from Vice Admiral Randall Jacobs, Chief of Navy Personnel. No details were given except that “Harold Herman Stukenburg, Coxswain, U. S. Naval Reserve, was killed in action in the performance of his dutv.” The date was March 17, 1944. Stukenburg, who was 21 years of age, entered service December 27, 1942.
Edward F. Baehr
Mr. and Mrs. Edward Baehr of New Baden have received word from the War Department that their son, Edward F. Baehr Jr., was killed in action in North Africa. The young man had been inducted into the armv in Clinton County, November 27, 1941. In May, 1942 he was sent to Iceland from which place he was transferred to North Africa.
John E. Crewell
PFC John E. Crewell, better known as “Cotton”, 25, a former resident of Carlyle, was killed in action January 31, 1944, in Italy.
Crewell, an only child, resided in Carlyle with his parents, Oscar Havlock and Beulah Carinody Crewell, for several years. He graduated from the Carlyle High School in 1938, was inducted into the Armed Forces Feb. 19, 1942, and has been overseas since March, 1943. He was with Pvt. Robert Davis of Carlyle when the latter was killed in Italy.
Alphonse Linnemann
James C. Cook
Corp. James C. Cook of Carlyle survived 11 months of southwest Pacific warfare, including the Vella La Vella and Bougainville campaigns, before losing his life after being in the initial invasion of Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands on February 22, 1945. His remains were returned here for burial last December.
Survivors include his wife, La Doris V. Quillin Cook, whom he married less than a year before his death, his mother and step-father, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Meier, a brother, Carl Cook, a sister, Mary Meier, and his father, Clifford Cook of Sandoval.
Paul B. Schomaker
Lt. Paul Schomaker had served nearly four and a half years in the infantry before losing his life in Germany April 9, 1945, exactly one month before the end of hostilities on the Western Front. He entered service a year before Pearl Harbor and as was frequent in the infantry service, he had won two Purple Hearts before losing his life. The casualty rate for Infantry lieutenants is higher than in any other rank of service.
Joe Schomaker of Carlyle is his father and he has a sister, Dorothy, and a brother, Arthur.
Earl E. Johnson
Lt. Earl Johnson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Johnson of Centralia was killed in Europe on October 14, 1944.
Johnson was born April 27, 1919, and graduated from Centralia High School and the University of Illinois. He was a teacher at Carlyle grade school before entering military service. After training at Ft. Benning, GA, Lt. Johnson left for the European theatre. He was killed during the Battle of the Bulge and was buried in Belgium. He is survived by his parents, a sister, Ruth Body, and a brother, Ivan.
John A. Miener
Charles J. Miener of Trenton received word this week from the War Department that his son, Pvt. John A. Miener, was accidentally killed by gun fire in line of duty last Friday at Foster Field, Texas. No details were given. He was a member of the Military Police at the camp. He volunteered for service September 12, 1942.
Alphonse Wilken
Robert S. Almassey
Herman W. Kampwerth
Pvt. Herman W. Kampwerth was Carlyle’s second victim of World War II. His death near Tunisia April 29, 1943, was more than a year before the invasion of France and preceded offensives by the United States in the Pacific. He entered service before Pearl Harbor and was 23 when killed. His remains were returned to Carlyle for services June 7, 1945, at St. Mary’s. Gerhard and Josephine Kampwerth, his parents; seven brothers, Urban, Norbert Joseph, Cornelius, Francis, Roland and Gerald; and four sisters, Sister M. Leonida, Mrs. Louis Seiffert, Mrs. Ray Diekemper and Jo Agnes, survive.
Arthur Herzing
Mrs. Anna Herzing received a telegram from the War Department advising her that her son, T/4 Arthur H. Herzing, 38, reported wounded in action in France on August 7, 1944, died of his wounds. The deceased parents were the late John Herzing and Anna Mank Herzing, the father having died. He was born in New Baden April 16, 1906
Wesley E. Fertch
Mrs. Mildred Fertch and Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Fertch received a telegram Monday Sept.4, that their husband and son, Sgt. Ennis Fertch had been killed in France August 8, 1944. He was in England for a period of time and then moved into France.
He was a member of Co.A, 9th Armored Battalion. He has been in service since Sept. 23, 1935. Sgt. Fertch was 30 years of age.
Paul B. Hemann
Raymond C. Roberts
Mrs. Malinda Roberts of New Baden has been informed of the loss of her son, Raymond Roberts, on December 13, 1943. Previously, he had been declared missing when his aircraft was burning and had crashed. The German Government supplied the Red Cross with data indicating the aircraft was destroyed and the body of Roberts was recovered for burial in Germany. Roberts enlisted in September 1941, and was ordered overseas in June 1942.
Cecil W. Sanders
Cecil W. Sanders was an aviation mechanic in the Naval Air Force when he died in the Naval Hospital at Coral Gables, Florida, on May 18, 1945. He joined the armed forces in 1942 and had served dime years when an intestinal ailment caused his death. Funeral services were held at Keyesport.
The 20 year old serviceman is survived by his mother, Mrs. Sadie E. Sanders of Route 2, Carlyle; three brothers, Herbert, Theodore and Wayne; and two sisters, Marjorie and Grace.
Hugh M. Beavers
Pvt. Hugh M. Beavers of Carlyle was killed August 7,1944, near St. Lo, France, where the First Army staged one of its biggest offensives about August 1. In the break-through that followed, the First and Third Armies pushed into Germany without stopping. The Carlyle soldier gave his life in the offensive less than eight months after being sworn into the Army. He is buried in the St. James cemetery in France. Survivors include his wife, Mary I. Beavers, and two children, Milo and Gay. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Beavers of Carlyle.
Joseph Gonzalez
Technical Sgt. Joseph Gonzales, 24, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jack Gonzales, Sr., of Beckemeyer, has been reported killed in action by the War Department. The family received this message which read: “Joe” had been killed in action July 7, 1944. “Joe” as he was known, had been serving with the armored tank division of the Fifth Army in Italy, at the time of his death. He was inducted into the army October 31, 1941 and was stationed at Fort Knox, Ky., until May 1942, before going overseas. He engaged in the African and Italian campaigns from the start to the day of his death. During one of the battles in Italy he was wounded and awarded the Purple Heart.
Walter Strotheide
Harry E. Helm
Funeral rites were held here in March for PFC Harry E. Helm who was killed in Paganico, Italy, in an action June 20, 1944, in which he was awarded the Silver Star posthumously. A football, basketball and track star in school days, he was still in a starring role in the Italian campaign and he was but 19 years of age. Mrs. Bessie Helm of this city is his mother and he has two sisters, Mrs. Charles A. West of Carlyle and Mrs. Melvin H. Mahlandt of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Calvin L. Wuebbles
Pvt. Calvin L. Wuebbles was killed in action in France on September 25, 1944, only six months after entering service March 18, the same year. He was sent overseas shortly after completing his basic training and had been in the European Theater only two months when he met his death while serving with the 137th Infantry. Survivors include his wife, Reba, of near Highland, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Wuebbles of Clinton Street, Carlyle, and two brothers, John Jr. and Nelson Lee Wuebbles.
Edwin E. Yardley
Pvt. Edwin Earl Yardley of East Fork Township was killed in action in France on July 16, 1944. He was in the Medical Corps and won a bronze star as a participant in the battle of Natousa six months before his death. Yardley was born in Nashville on May 9, 1925, the son of Clyde and Ada B. Yardley. When three months old the family moved to an East Fork farm. The 19 year old soldier who is interred in Carlyle Cemetery is survived by his parents, brothers Herbert, Charles, Carl, Dale and Melvin, and sisters Helen Nolte, Anna Belle Potts and Ada Mae Klueter.
Ferd R. Brewer
Information from the War Department that PFC Ferd R. Brewer was killed in France October 2, 1944, was received here by his wife, Mrs. Opal Brewer Monday. He was previously reported missing in action. PFC Brewer entered the Armed Forces in January, 1943, and after sixteen months of training was sent overseas. He was stationed in England and then was sent to France. The deceased is a son of Mrs. Henry Brewer and the late Mr. Brewer. He was married to Opal Guthrie of Beckemeyer November 7, 1942. He is survived by his wife and infant daughter, his mother, four sisters, Mrs. Lillian Hoffarth, Mrs. Esther Haumesser, Mrs. Helen Lappe and Mrs.Willa Schilling, and two brothers, Elmer and William.
Alphonse H. Eilermann
During the invasion of Europe, in the Normandy section, Alphonse Eilermann of Albers was killed June 16, 1944. Eilermann was in the thick of the battle for, as a glider infantryman, it was his job to meet the enemy ahead of the regular troops. He is a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Eilermann, who reside just west of Albers. He was born April 6, 1908. On March 27, 1942, he entered service and went overseas in September 1943 and on his arrival in England continued in training for the channel crossing. He was attached to Company F, 401st Glider’s Infantry.
Oliver A. Hempen
Three weeks after the fall of Paris, PFC Oliver A. Hempen of Carlyle gave up his life for his country in northern France on September 15, 1944. Death came to this young soldier only six weeks after he had reached his 19th birthday. His remains were moved from a military cemetery in France to Carlyle for funeral services here on July 26, 1948, at St. Mary’s Church.
PFC Hempen was one of four sons of Leo C. Hempen of Carlyle. other sons are Henry T. Leo F. and Harold H. Hempen.
Dale Willard
Full military funeral services were held for Lt. Dale F. Willard at Wolfersberger-Meyer Funeral Home in O’Fallon with internment in College Hill Cemetery.
Lt. Willard was born in O’Fallon on May 13, 1922, the son of Fred and Elizabeth Willard, nee Jung. He married Iris Yeager of St. Louis who survives him.
Lt Willard was killed in action in Bari, Italy, on December 4, 1944 while with the 15th Air Force. The VFW and Fischer-Sollis Post of the American Legion were in charge of the military services.
Walter H. Kreke
Claude R. Bennett
Staff Sgt. Claude R. “Bud” Bennett, 28, U.S. Infantry, died September 20, 1945, from injuries received in an automobile accident near Camp Cook, Calif. He was a son of C. T. Bennett of this city. He lived in Posey and Huey before coming to Carlyle. Military rites were held in Carlyle at the Frerker Funeral Home and interment was in the Opdyke city cemetery.
Melvin Cosgrove
Ray Melvin Cosgrove, fireman second class, left high school at East St. Louis and entered the Navy when 17. He was only 19 when lost with the sinking of the heavy cruiser, the U.S.S. Vincennes, at Guadalcanal on August 10, 1943. The Vincennes was supporting the Marine landing on the enemy entrenched island when the big ship was mortally wounded and went down with a heavy loss of life. He is the son of Mr. and Melvin G. Cosgrove of this city, and his brother, Bob, is one of the outstanding athletes at the Carlyle High School.
Alphonse J. Kruse
PFC Alphonse A. Kruse, age 24, a son of Ben Kruse of Bartelso, died Dec. 5, 1945, in a military hospital in Oakland, California, following an illness beginning more than a month ago. PFC Kruse , a veteran of nearly three years in the Pacific area, including New Guinea, Leyte and the Philippines and having five battle stars was enroute to the United States for discharge. PFC Kruse was born October 11, 1921 in Bartelso and grew to manhood in that community. He entered the armed forces on September 25, 1942. Burial was in St. Cecilia Cemetery in Bartelso.
Robert G. Hacker
Pvt. Robert G. Hacker of Bartelso was reported as killed in action on December, 17, 1944 during the Battle of the Bulge. Robert was serving in the U.S.Army with the 106th Division. Robert was born November, 10, 1925, the son of Edward and Ida Hacker, of rural Bartelso. Burial was in Camp Butler located in Springfield, Illinois. His name is one for whom, The American Legion, Hacker­Gebke Post 976 was organized.
Harry L. Camp
Harry Camp had been in the Army slightly over 11 months when killed in Northern France on November 12, 1944, one month before the Battle of the Bulge, but he was awarded A Bronze Star posthumously for exemplary conduct in ground combat against the enemy. The award was sent to his wife, Rosa Camp, who resides here with their two children, Gerald and Merle May Camp. His mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Camp, also is a resident of Carlyle.
Paul E. Reynolds
Vernon 0. Montgomery
A telegram from the War Department arrived at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Alex Montgomery, saying that their only son, Vernon, had been killed in action while serving as a machine gunner in the U.S. Army in Belgium, on March 2, 1945, at the age of 19 years, 2 months and 4 days. The deceased was born December 26, 1926, in Trenton, where he spent his youth and was educated. On May 12, 1944 he was inducted into the U.S. Army. Early in December of 1944 he was sent overseas. Death came to him in a hospital in Begium from wounds received in that country during a major battle.
Melvin 0. Charlton
Melvin 0. Charlton, formerly of Patoka and later of Carlyle, was killed in action Feb. 25, 1945, only a few weeks before German resistance was brought to an end. He entered service in May, 1944, and had been in the Army less than a year, overseas only three months with the infantry of Patton’s Third Army.
Survivors include his parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Charlton of Carlyle, his widow, now Mrs. Martin Kretzer of near Odin, and three children, two sons and a daughter.
Norbert Horstmann
Sadness again fills our community, that of another war, casualty, in the death of Corporal Norbert H. Horstmann, son of Conrad and the late Elizabeth Horstmann. Norbert who has been in the army for several years, has been serving overseas about 2 and one-half years in Italy. The War Department advised that he was killed in action while serving on the Italian front May 31, 1944. He was born in Germantown July 25, 1920.
Adrian B. Hempen
The war on the western front was destined to last only five more weeks when PFC Adrian Bernard Hempen was killed on March 31, 1945, at Schloven, Germany. He was among the American forces rushing pell-mell into Germany meeting little resistance in some sectors. The Rhine had been crossed and the Ruhr valley encircled and it already had given up many of the 360,000 German prisoners when Hempen fell. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Herman H. Hempen of Irishtown Township and has four brothers, Harold M., Robert H., Lloyd H., and Donald and three sisters, Evelyn E. Marian L. and Pearl M. Hempen.
Robert L. Davis
The first Purple Heart awarded to a resident of Carlyle in World War II was presented to the parents of PFC Robert L. Davis after his death from wounds received in action on the Italian front Nov. 25, 1943. The award came to Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Davis early the following year. T’he 23 year old Carlyle soldier was killed near Cassino after surviving the Salerno invasion. Besides his parents he has three brothers, William, Jerry and Ronald and two sisters, Mrs. Nic Hodapp and Mrs. Louis Hufford of this city.
Harry A. Rosen
A Memorial Mass was held in the St. Rose Catholic Church for Sgt. Harry Rosen, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Anton Rosen of St. Rose, who was recently killed in action in Germany. The date of death was November 3, 1944. Burial was in Belgium.
Fred T. Vahlkamp
The invasion of France had been underway only 13 days when Fred Vahlkamp of Carlyle was listed as “missing in action.” It was two months later before his death was confirmed in an official message. Mortar fire by the enemy near Corpville, France, was blamed. Vahlkamp was the son of Mrs. Catherine Vahlkamp of Carlyle. Other survivors include August and John Vahlkamp of Carlyle and Ben Vahlkamp of Beckemeyer, brothers; Albert Vahlkamp of Carlyle, a half brother, three sisters, Mary of St. Louis, Elizabeth Westermann of Cairo and Mrs. Agnes Granberg of Carlyle.
Maurice Mueller
Marvin M. Hamilton
S/Sgt Marvin M. Hamilton, son of Mrs. Kate Hamilton of Beckemeyer, was reported killed in action November 23, 1944, on Leyte Island in the Philippines. He was 26 years old and was born in Beckemever on November 9, 1918. He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Kate Hamilton, two sisters, Mrs. Dick Hubbard of Beckemeyer and Mrs. Erich Albat of Detroit, Michigan. His father, John Hamilton, preceded him in death December 15, 1935.
Marvin entered the service October 16, 1942. He served duty overseas for twenty two months. During his overseas duties he served in Australia, New Guinea, Netherlands, East Indies and the Philippines.
Byrl Schaubert
Byrl Schaubert, Major in the Army Air Corps, the 27 year old son of Mr and Mrs Frank Schaubert of Shattuc, lost his life when the airplane he was flying, crashed on take off into Lake Sentani, New Guinea, Nov. 15, 1944. He was buried Nov. 20, 1944 in the U.S.A.F. Cemetery Hollandia No. 1 with full military honors. A brief outline of Major Schaubert is: (1) A graduate of Sandoval High School , 1935; (2) A graduate of the University of Michigan with a major in Forestry, 1940; (3) Commissioned as a Fighter Pilot in the Air Corps Advanced Flying School, Brooks Field near San Antonio, Texas, 1941, (4) Served in the Canal Zone for 2 years and in Far East Air Forces in Australia and New Guinea since July, 1944, during which time he advanced to the rank of Major.
William Klasing
Orrell G. Reynolds
Pvt. Orrell G. Reynolds, familiarly known to Carlyle friends as “Pete” was an insurance man here before entering service. Death came to him in France on August 4, 1944, just about the time of the St. Lo battle which was the biggest offensive campaign of the Western Front after the invasion less than two months earlier. He was 33 years of age and had been in service only a year when killed. His wife was notified here in September, 1944, that he had been seriously wounded and a message announcing his death followed. His father, Elvin Reynolds, lives in East SL Louis.
Virgil G. Kreke
Pfc. Virgil Kreke, aged 21 years, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Kreke of Breese, was killed in action in Italy. Loss of life on Jan. 12, 1944. Pfc. Kreke was inducted into the service in February 1943 and had been overseas for two months.
Milford L. Killion
Joseph F. Lampe
Clarence Scott
The sad news received here last week stating that Marine Pfc. Clarence Scott, Jr., age 20 years, a machine gunner, has been killed in the Pacific area. Pfc. Scott is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Scott, Sr., of Trenton. The young man was engaged in several fierce battles with the Japanese and about a month ago wrote a letter saying he had escaped unharmed. No more letters followed.; Date of death would be some time before September 22, 1944.
Bernard H. Schulte
Edwin A. Lappe
Pfc. Edwin A. Lappe had more than his share of front line duty before losing his life in France November 29, 1944. He had been in service for nearly four years and had gone through the North African, Sicilian and Italian campaigns. When killed, Pfc. Lappe was 26 years of age. His remains were returned for burial at the St. John’s cemetery in Breese on July 2 last year. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Lappe of Route 2, Carlyle and other survivors include two brothers, Walter and Eugene, and five sisters, Mrs. Lorine Voland, Mrs. Irene Albat and Mrs. Leona Lallman, all of Beckemeyer, Olivia and Catherine Lappe.
Claude Terry
Claude Terry, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Terry of Carlyle, became a WW II victim of the Battle of Java February 27, 1942. Terry was aboard the Langley, a U.S. warship, which was torpedoed and sunk by the enemy. He was reported picked up by the Pecos, a small airship carrier, but it was also sunk. Born at Huey December 19, 1908, Terry moved to Carlyle when he was quite young and attended Carlyle grade and high school. He joined the Navy about 15 years ago and was serving his fourth enlistment. He was married to Marian Wallace Neal, who survives, together with three children, Sheffel, Stewart and James. The family lived in China three years and in the Philippines, but was forced to return to the states in 1940. Terry served on the Pennsylvania and on the Isabel in addition to the Langley. He is also survived by his parents, a brother, George, and a sister, Mrs. William Means.
Roman B. Gebke
Pvt. Roman B. Gebke, of Bartelso, was reported as killed in action on January 22, 1945. He was serving in the U.S. Army engaged in battle during the Italian Campaign. Roman was born on November 23, 1920, a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Gebke of rural Bartelso. Burial was in a National Cemetery located in Florence, Italy. His name is one for whom, The American Legion, Hacker-Gebke Post 976 was organized.
Clarence Gramann
Raymond J. VonBokel
Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Von Bokel of Breese were recently notified by the War Department that their son, Sgt. Raymond J. Von Bokel was killed in action in England on January 6, 1945. Sgt. Von Bokel was a First Radioman and Gunner on a B-17 Flying Fortress, attached to the Eighth Army Air Force. He had completed 20 missions over Germany. Memorial services for Sgt. Von Bokel will be held in Breese at St. Dominic’s Church Saturday Feb. 3, at 9 a.m.
Elaza L. Sharp
Friday June 23, 1944, Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Sharp of Boulder, received word from the Secretary of War, that their son, Pvt. E. L. Sharp, Jr., was killed in action in France June 8, 1944. Private “Bud” Sharp was inducted into the army on January 4, 1943. He was with the Tank Destroyers until he was sent from Camp Robinson, Ark., to Ft. Lewis, Washington, where he volunteered for the Paratroopers. He was sent to Ft. Benning, GA. for his parachute training. On January 11, 1944, he was sent overseas landing in Ireland and then on to England for the invasion. Burial was in a cemetery located two miles east of St. Mere Eglise at a town by the name of Blossville. The name of the American cemetery is Monarch. He is buried in Plot 1, Row 2, Grave 35.
Milford Mann
Milford George Mann, Lt. USNR, of Shattuc, Illinois was declared lost at sea in Nanpo Shoto area of the South Pacific in 1945. He was born in Shattuc in 1912, the son of Mr. & Mrs. George W. Mann of Shattuc. He entered the U.S. Navy on June 10, 1941.
James R. Gray
Ensign James R. Gray and 10 other flyers of the U.S. Navy lost their lives at the same time in a tragedy at Chincoteague, Va., in May, 1944. , Memorial services were held for them at their home base and the body was returned here for burial. The service was held Sunday, June 4,
Ensign Gray is the son of Mrs. G. N. Gray of this city, and he has a brother, Don, and a sister, Mrs. Eugene Heinzman, of Carlyle.
George A. Szuba
Mrs. Mary Szuba of New Baden received word from the Navy Department that her son, Sgt. George A. Szuba with the U. S. Marine Corps died on December 9, 1943. The location was somewhere in the South Pacific and burial was on December 10, 1943 on one of the islands. Sgt. Szuba was born in New Baden April 22, 1920, and his father was the late Frank Szuba.
Elmer Alberternst
Sgt. Elmer Alberternst, age 27, oldest son of Mr. & Mrs. Joseph Alberternst, died March 1, 1945, somewhere in Italy as a result of injuries sustained in an automobile accident on Feb. 24, 1945. Sgt. Alberternst was born and reared in Trenton.
Joseph C. Jannett
Joe was a tail gunner on a B-24 in Italy and was sent on a combat mission to knock out the Ploesti oil fields. His plane was shot down by anti aircraft fire on May 31, 1944, just 21 days after he left the states. Only four of the 11 aboard were able to bail out and one of them died in the hospital. The government has no record of his grave. His survivors include Mr. and Mrs. John U. Jannett, his parents, three brothers, Vernon of Carlyle, and Howard and Robert of St. Louis, and two sisters, Margaret Thornton of Sandoval and Mrs. Clyde Purdue of Flora.
Melvin E. Schoenefeld
John Schoenefeld of Beckemeyer received a telegram Monday from the War Department stating that his son, S/Sgt. Melvin E. Schoenefeld was killed in action in France January 29, 1945. Sgt. Schoenefeld was born south of Beckemever on Sept. 18, 1918, and grew to manhood near this community. He was employed in Cleveland, Ohio at the time of his induction into the Armed Forces in February 1941. He was sent overseas, landing at Casablanca in North Africa on Nov. 8, 1942. He fought in campaigns in Africa, Sicily, Italy and France. He was attached to the Third Division of General Patch’s Seventh Army, but relatives have reason to believe that he was fighting with the First French Army when killed. Besides his father he is survived by one brother, Sgt. Raymond Schoenefeld, also serving with the Armed Forces in France.
Thomas A. Hummert
Mr. and Mrs. V. J. Hummert of Breese received a message from the War Department stating that their son, Lt. Thomas Hummert, was killed in an airplane accident May 5, 1945.
Clifford R. Busch
Mrs. Mary Ellen Busch, mother of Sgt. Clifford Busch, A.A.F. radio operator, has received a telegram advising her that Sgt. Busch was killed in action January 7, 1944. In a Previous telegram received on January 19, he was reported as missing in action on January 7, 1944. Sgt. Busch, 24, was a son of Mrs. Mary Ellen Busch and the late Richard Busch of Keyesport. With other members of the crew, and their bomber, “Caught in the Draft”, he arrived in England early in December, 1943, but at the present time it is unknown they had made over enemy territory. He was also trained as an aerial gunner.
Henry C. Schlau
Word has been received by Mrs. Katherine Schlau, a former resident of Route 4, Centralia who is now making her home In East St. Louis, that her son, Sgt.. Henry C. Schlau, 27, was killed In action on Cebu Island on April 7. Sgt.Schlau was serving with the Infantry. He entered service on April 17, 1941 and received his training at Camp Craft, S.C., He was stationed at Camp Forrest, Tenn., before going overseas in January, 1942. He served In New Caledonia, Fiji lslands and Bougainville, and took part in the Invasion of Luzon. Besides his mother, he is survived by a brother, Eugene, serving with the Marines in the Pacific, a sister, Lillian with the Army Nurse’s Corps in Italy, and two Sisters, Mrs. William Stantoniello and Mrs. Clyde Osterholtz, both of East St. Louis
Alphonse Linnemann
June 24, 1921 – April 24, 1945
Cpl. Co. F. 381st. Inf.
KIA in Okinawa
Buried in Germantown, IL 62245
Anton Diesen
March 11, 1895 – October 31, 1918
Pvt. Co. D. 147th Inf. 37th Div.
KIA in France
Buried in Germantown, IL 62245
George Winkeler
September 4, 1890 – September 7, 1918
Pvt. Co. B. 47th Inf. 4th Div.
KIA in Argonen Forest, Germany
Buried in Germantown, IL 62245
Lavern Huser
December 4, 1912 – September 19, 1944
Cpl. 35th Regt. 4th Div.
KIA in France
Buried in St. Avold, France
Horebert Horstman
July 25, 1919 – May 31, 1944
Sgt. 180th Inf. 45th Div.
KIA in Africa
Buried in Florence, Italy
Clarence Gramann
April 17, 1922 – January 5, 1944
6th Army Inf.
KIA in Italy
Buried in Marzanello, Nyova, Italy
James N. Miller
Pvt. James Nolin Miller, 17, was killed in action August 10, 1950, in Korea. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Roscoe I. Miller of rural Carlyle. Miller who was born December 7, 1932 at Flat Rock, enlisted after 2/2 years of attendance at Carlyle high school and had served about eight months when fatally wounded. He served with the 19th Infantry Regiment. His body was escorted home by his brother, Roscoe, who was serving in Guam. Surviving are his parents, five brothers, Thomas C., Esco E., Roscoe E., Lyle E., and Clarence E., and a sister, Mrs. Delbert Higgins.
Paul F. Ratermann
Ralph L. Parks
Sgt. Ralph L. Parks, a much decorated soldier in World War H, died in a North Korean prison camp about March 15, 195 1. Parks received two Bronze Stars after W.W.II service in Africa and Italy, but returned to the states as a civilian before re-enlisting. He was in Korea for three months before being captured. Sgt. Parks was married to the former Shirley Carter in April of 1950. He was the son of the late William and Pearl Parks who survives along with three sisters, Ethel Higgins, Mrs. Ellen Strutz, and Mrs. Jean Cahoon, and three brothers, Roy, Harold and Walter.
Harry R. Reed
Pvt. Harry Richard Reed, 22, of Carlyle was killed in action July 29, 1950, in Korea. A member of the Seventh Cavalry Regiment Reed was a victim of enemy fire in a counter-attack at Rokin-Ri, South Korea. Pvt. Reed was born January 31, 1928, at Beckemeyer, the son of Harry and Mary Reed. Mr. Reed was a mine manager and following his death the family moved to Carlyle where Pvt. Reed graduated from St. Mary’s high school. He enlisted in the Army in 1948 and was sent to Japan and finally to Korea when hostilities broke out there. Pvt. Reed is survived by his mother, who married John Spangler in 1948 and moved to Harrisburg, and two brothers, James and Thomas.
Daniel Lubbers
Pvt. Daniel Luebbers, who had been fighting with the 24th Division in Korea, died of sunstroke July 18, 1950, two days after he had been reported missing in action. He had been in Korea for 14 days. He was born here November 3, 1932, a son of Herman B. and Margaret (Lake) Luebbers who survive along with six brothers, Joseph, Raymond, Robert, Matthew, Marion and John, and four sisters, Mrs. Ralph (Helen) Hollenkamp, Mrs. Kenneth (Betty Jane) McClintic, Mrs. Lee (Marcella) Dimock and Sr. M. Gabriella.
John E. Ingram
PFC John E. Ingram was killed in action in Korea, October 28, 1952 at the age of 21 years. He was serving in the Ranger Platoon, of the 23rd Infantry Division of the U.S. Army. John in the Army in 1948 at the age of 17. John was born May 2, 1931 in Albers, Illinois, the son of Walter and Mary G. Ingram. He received his grade school education in Albers and later attended Aviston Community High School. He moved to New Baden in 1947 prior to his enlistment in the Army. John was survived by two sisters, Elizabeth (Emmett) Zimmermann of New Baden and Ann (Clarence) Wellen of Canon City, Colorado
Ralph A. Wellinghoff
Clinton County lost another of its young men when Army PFC Ralph A. Wellinghoff of New Baden was killed in action in Vietnam on july 14, 1969. PFC Wellinghoff, a graduate of Wesclin High School, was born March 21, 1949, the son of Verena Schmidt and Alois B. Wellinghoff’ His father preceded him in death, but he is survived by his mother, two sisters and two brothers. Wellinghoff is the 12th county fatality in the Vietnam conflict.
Norman L. Eversgerd
The death of PFC Norman L. Eversgerd, 19, by mortar and rifle fire in Vietnam Sunday, August 18, 1968 completed a double tragedy for his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Frank Eversgerd of Germantown. They had lost another son, Spec. 4C Marlin Chris Eversgerd, 20, in Vietnam 17 months earlier. Norman was with the Third Marine Division. Norman had sustained fragmentation wounds to the head and a gunshot wound to the body from hostile mortar and rifle fire while in a defensive position at Thua, Thien Province, Republic of Vietnam. Burial was in St. Boniface Cemetery in Germantown.
Marlin C. Eversgerd
Funeral services with full military rites at the graveside were held at St. Boniface Church in Germantown for Spec. 4C, Marlin Chris Eversgerd of Germantown, who was killed in action, March 19, 1967, in Vietnam. The victim, a radio operator, with the 4th Infantry Division, was in an aircraft and was hit by fragments of a detonated mine. He had been stationed at Dau Tieng, South Vietnam near the Cambodian border, which had been a “hot” spot recently. Eversgerd arrived in Vietnam in September 1966 and had been in the Mekong Delta, Iron Triangle and Junction City offensives. A son of Mr. and Mrs. Chris F. Eversgerd, he is survived by his parents and seven younger brothers and sisters. Burial was at St. Boniface Cemetery in Germantown.
Dennis L. Peek
Clinton County gave another son to the cause of war in Vietnam January 9, 1970, when Marine First Lieutenant Dennis Peek of Route 2, Carlyle, was killed as his U-4 aircraft was shot down by enemy ground fire over Quang Nam Province. Lt. Peek, 26, a Mater Dei graduate and son of Mr. and Ws. August Peek, had enlisted in the Marines January 9, 1967, exactly three years before his death. He was born at Carlyle July 9, 1943, and after graduation from Mater Dei High School attended the General Motors Institute at Flint, Michigan, with a degree in engineering and was employed by the Fisher Body Plant in St. Louis, Missouri for five years prior to his entry into the service.
Mickey R. Grable
Mickey Grable was born on June 15, 1947. He became a member of the Marines while in Centralia, Illinois and attained the rank of CPL (E4). On July 25, 1966 at the age of 19, Mickey Grable gave his life in the service of our country in South Vietnam, Quang Nam Province. You can find Mickey Grable honored on the Vietnam Memorial Wall on Panel 9E, Row 74
Ronald J. Tebbe
Ronald Tebbe, son of Mrs. Irene Sprehe Tebbe of Breese, died of wounds in Vietnam at 9:45 a.m. Thursday, July 11, 1968. He was an infantryman and had been in Vietnam nine months after enlisting in November of 1966. Ronald was born September 5, 1947, a son of Emil and Irene Sprehe Tebbe. His father was drowned May 5, 1957, and he was the only son in a family of eight children. Burial was in St. Dominic’s Cemetery in Breese.
John M. Wike
John Wike was born on September 9, 1950. He became a member of the Army while in Centralia, Illinois and attained the rank of SP4 (E4). On February 26, 1970 at the age of 19, John Wike gave his life in the service of our country in South Vietnam, Quang Nam Province. You can find John Wike honored on the Vietnam Memorial Wall on Panel 13W, Row 60.
Stanley A. Mensing
A requiem mass was held at St. Anthony’s Church for SP4 Stanley Alfred Mensing, 21, the first Beckemeyer soldier to die in the Vietnam War. Honor guards were there from the Catholic War Veterans Marion Post and and Holthaus­Kampwerth Post of the American Legion. SP4 Mensing was reported missing August 12, 1969, and his body was recovered on August 17. The young soldier entered service March 21, 1968. He was in Troop A, lst Squadron, 4th Cavalry, lst Infantry Division. Mensing was born July 1, 1948, a son of Alfred J. and Veronica Skrobul Mensing. Burial was in St. Anthony’s Cemetery in Beckemeyer.
Jerome Stroot
Theodore A. Wolters
Theodore Anthony Wolters, of New Baden, was killed in action while serving in Vietnam, on August 28, 1970. He was sent to Vietnam on July 24, 1970 and serving in the Infantry, lst Battalion (Airmobile), 8th Cavalry. He was born July 7, 1950, in Breese, the son of Tony and Rose Wolters of New Baden, Illinois. He entered the service February 26, 1970 and had basic training at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri, then to Long Beach, Californiaia. He was educated at St.George Grade School_ in New Baden and Mascoutah High School.
Gerald B. Schmidt
Gerald B. Schmidt, 20 year old Marine Lance Corporal of Albers, became Clinton County’s first casualty of the Vietnam Conflict. His parents Mr. and Mrs. Charles V. Schmidt of Albers, received an official notice of his being fatally wounded “while on an assault troop pick-up mission” in the vicinity of Qung, Ngai, Republic of South Vietnam, March 20, 1966. The young victim of the tragedy had been in Vietnam since July 1, 1965, and was to return home in June 1966. He was a two year veteran of the Marines when he went to Vietnam and served in the helicopter group. Burial was in St. Bernard Cemetery in Albers.
Junior Floyd Roniger
Junior Floyd Roniger, 22, son of Mr.and Mrs. Gilmer Roniger of Rt 2, Trenton, near St.Morgan, died from wounds received in action in Vietnam on February 20, 1969. Sgt. Roniger serving in the 60th Infantry, 9th Infantry Division, in the Mekong Delta, lost his life in a night defensive position. He had been in Vietnam since June 1968. Previously, he had served 13 months in Korea and re-enlisted at the request of a buddy who died in Korea. He was born in Trenton on March 1, 1946, the son of Gilmer and Virginia Roniger, nee Hammer. Surviving are his parents, two sisters, Carol Ann, wife of Thomas Prange of St. Jacob and Miss Lois Roniger at home. Burial was in the Highland City Cemetery.
Herbert C. Langenhorst
Herbert C. Langenhorst, 22, Clinton County’s most recent victim of the Vietnam War, was buried with military honors at Germantown Wednesday morning. He was killed Friday, October 18, 1968, while guarding an airport. An aircraft landed and exploded on the airstrip and Langenhorst was killed by flying debris from the explosion. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Langenhorst of Germantown, were notified Tuesday of his death and the remains arrived with a militarv escort. Burial was in St. Boniface Cemetery im Germantown. The soldier was born September 21, 1946 and observed his 22nd birthday only last month.
Dennis M. Wobbe
Dennis Wobbe, son of Mrs. and Mrs. Fremont Wobbe of Breese, was a machine gunner for the Navy in a helicopter flown from an aircraft carrier on a rescue mission when the copter was hit by enemy fire and exploded last weekend. The date of death was given as July 13, 1968. Dennis was born July 20, 1947, a son of Fremont and Martha Holtgrave Wobbe, who survive along with two brothers and two sisters. He entered the Navy about 18 months ago and had been in Vietnam since last Thanksgiving Day. Burial was in St. Dominic’s Cemetery in Breese.
Ralph B. Ortmann
A requiem mass will be held at St. Boniface Church at Germantown at 10:00 a.m. Monday for PFC Ralph B. Ortmann, 20, who was killed in action in Vietnam on July 2, 1969. He was Germantown’s fourth victim of the Vietnam conflict. Mr. and Mrs. Vince Ortmann of rural Germantown, his parents, were notified by the Defense Department that their son was killed while on a scouting mission. He regularly was a gunner on an Army vehicle. He had been in Vietnam 2 1/2 months before his death. Burial was in St. Boniface Cemetery in Germantown.
Norman G. Toennies
S/4 Norman G. Toennies, 20, son of Mrs. Margaret Toennies of Albers RR became the second Clinton County boy to be killed in Vietnam. He was serving in Company B, 3rd Battalion, 22nd, Infantry. Mrs. Toennies, wife of the late Joseph Toennies, who died in 1950, received word that her son drowned on the night of December 21, 1966 while on an ambush patrol mission. Norman was born in rural Albers, August 13, 1946 and left for the U.S. Army on December 27, 1965 and served just six days short of a year at the time of his death. Burial was in St. Damians Church cemetery in Damiansville.
Billy D. Jackson
Marine PFC Billy Dale Jackson, 19, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Jackson, Route 3, Centralia, was killed in action, March 7, 1968, while engaged in an operation against hostile forces at Quang Tri, South Vietnam. PFC Jackson was born October 22, 1948, in Centralia. He was a graduate of Centralia High School and had attended Kaskaskia College. He enlisted in the Marine Corps in April of 1967. He was assigned to duty in Vietnam November 20, 1967. Burial was in Hillcrest Memorial Park in Centralia, with military rites by the U.S. Marine Corps.
Paul W. Toennies
Paul Toennies, Specialist 4, U.S.Army disappeared in Germany last Monday July 8, 1968, and his body was recovered the following day. He was born October 22, 1947, a son of Tony and Clara Olliges Toennies of Damiansville. Surviving are his parents, nine brothers and one sister. Burial was in St. Damian’s Cemetery in Damiansville.
Daniel E. Rosen
Mr. and Mrs. Alvin C. Rosen of St. Rose were notified Saturday, May 17, 1969, that their son, Daniel Elmer Rosen-, an 18-year old infantry soldier, had been missing in action in Vietnam since May 14, 1969. He entered service August 14, 1968, four days before his 18th birthday. He left California for Vietnam January 19, 1969 and was in training there before going into combat. The body was recovered with death listed May 14, 1969 and burial was in the St. Rose Cemetery.
Walter A. Koehler
First Lieutenant Walter Allen “Butch” Koehler, 23, was killed in Vietnam March 11, 1969. Lt. Koehler was in the crew of a helicopter gunship and his family was notified March 14, 1969, that he had been missing since March 11. A second message, brought here by a lieutenant from the Army Depot confirmed the death. Lt. Koehler was born here February 24, 1946, a son of Fred C. and Imogene C. Cooley Koehler. He was graduated from Carlyle High School and attended the University of Illinois for one year. He and Sharon Melton were married July 11, 1966, and are parents of a 15-month-old son, Jeffrey. Survivors include his parents, his wife and son, and two sisters, Mrs. Doris Campbell who is in Germany. where her husband is stationed in the Army and Sandra Lynn Koehler, at home.